Osama`s Dr Afridi barred from meeting family
Islamabad: Pakistani doctor Shakeel Afridi, who helped the U.S. locate Osama Bin Laden, has been barred from meeting his relatives and lawyers following an interview with an American TV channel.
On September 11, a correspondent for Fox News claimed he interviewed Dr Afridi by phone from inside the jail and spoke to him for 45 minutes, a claim prison authorities and his lawyers termed baseless and unfounded.
During the interview Dr Afridi, reportedly made allegations against the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for its alleged links with militant groups opposed to the US.
According to the Nation, when Dr. Afridi’s brother Jamil and lawyer Qamar Nadeem wanted to meet him in the prison recently, the jail authorities turned them back.
The paper quoted some sources, as saying that after the Fox News interview, the intelligence agencies representatives also met with Dr Shakeel Afridi in the prison and interrogated him about his interview and the allegations that he levelled against the ISI.
Earlier, after being convicted and shifted to the Peshawar Central Prison, the provincial government had banned meetings with the doctor for security reasons and possible attacks against him by militants.
But in the wake of the complaints by his family members and after having filed a petition in the Peshawar High Court for allowing them to meet Shakeel Afridi, the provincial government allowed them to meet him once a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview