Over 1,000 kids killed in Pakistan in 2012
Islamabad: As many as 1,113 children were murdered and around 1,400 injured in Pakistan last year in cases related to violence against minors, a leading human rights attorney has said.
Growing lawlessness in the country and the weak role of police have resulted in a spike in such cases, Zia Ahmed Awan told the Daily Times.
Awan is the president of the Lawyers of Human Rights and Legal Aid and founder of the Madadgaar National Helpline.
He said their database showed that from January to December 2012, as many as 6,444 cases of violence against children were reported by the media.
A total of 1,113 children were murdered, 582 kidnapped, 246 sodomised, 455 sexually assaulted, 330 raped and 235 trafficked.
There were 476 forced marriages, 188 honour killings and 195 child marriages. A total of 355 children committed suicide.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know