Over 11,000 arrested during anti-drug drive in Lanka
Colombo: More than 11,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka for allegedly possessing or peddling narcotics during a three-week nation-wide drive to curb the drug menace, police said.
Police have also seized over a thousand kilogrammes of cannabis and about four kg of heroin, Narcotic division officials said.
About 1,700 kgs of Babul, a local drug sold by street vendors, were also seized by the authorities in raids.
"The largest quantity of drugs were found from Western Province," police chief Mahinda Balasuriya said.
All police stations in the nation have been ordered to continue the operation against drug abuse, which the state media describes as "the biggest threat faced by the country after terrorism".
Under the Sri Lankan law, crime of drug trafficking attracts severe penalties, including the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack