Over 11,000 arrested during anti-drug drive in Lanka
Colombo: More than 11,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka for allegedly possessing or peddling narcotics during a three-week nation-wide drive to curb the drug menace, police said.
Police have also seized over a thousand kilogrammes of cannabis and about four kg of heroin, Narcotic division officials said.
About 1,700 kgs of Babul, a local drug sold by street vendors, were also seized by the authorities in raids.
"The largest quantity of drugs were found from Western Province," police chief Mahinda Balasuriya said.
All police stations in the nation have been ordered to continue the operation against drug abuse, which the state media describes as "the biggest threat faced by the country after terrorism".
Under the Sri Lankan law, crime of drug trafficking attracts severe penalties, including the death penalty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory