Over 11,000 arrested during anti-drug drive in Lanka
Colombo: More than 11,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka for allegedly possessing or peddling narcotics during a three-week nation-wide drive to curb the drug menace, police said.
Police have also seized over a thousand kilogrammes of cannabis and about four kg of heroin, Narcotic division officials said.
About 1,700 kgs of Babul, a local drug sold by street vendors, were also seized by the authorities in raids.
"The largest quantity of drugs were found from Western Province," police chief Mahinda Balasuriya said.
All police stations in the nation have been ordered to continue the operation against drug abuse, which the state media describes as "the biggest threat faced by the country after terrorism".
Under the Sri Lankan law, crime of drug trafficking attracts severe penalties, including the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31