Over 11,000 arrested during anti-drug drive in Lanka
Colombo: More than 11,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka for allegedly possessing or peddling narcotics during a three-week nation-wide drive to curb the drug menace, police said.
Police have also seized over a thousand kilogrammes of cannabis and about four kg of heroin, Narcotic division officials said.
About 1,700 kgs of Babul, a local drug sold by street vendors, were also seized by the authorities in raids.
"The largest quantity of drugs were found from Western Province," police chief Mahinda Balasuriya said.
All police stations in the nation have been ordered to continue the operation against drug abuse, which the state media describes as "the biggest threat faced by the country after terrorism".
Under the Sri Lankan law, crime of drug trafficking attracts severe penalties, including the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security