Over 11,000 arrested during anti-drug drive in Lanka
Colombo: More than 11,000 people have been arrested in Sri Lanka for allegedly possessing or peddling narcotics during a three-week nation-wide drive to curb the drug menace, police said.
Police have also seized over a thousand kilogrammes of cannabis and about four kg of heroin, Narcotic division officials said.
About 1,700 kgs of Babul, a local drug sold by street vendors, were also seized by the authorities in raids.
"The largest quantity of drugs were found from Western Province," police chief Mahinda Balasuriya said.
All police stations in the nation have been ordered to continue the operation against drug abuse, which the state media describes as "the biggest threat faced by the country after terrorism".
Under the Sri Lankan law, crime of drug trafficking attracts severe penalties, including the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!