Over 120 missing in Bangladesh boat accident
Dhaka: More than 120 people were missing in Bangladesh after their boat capsized in the Bay of Bengal, officials said on Thursday.
The wooden boat was carrying 135 illegal immigrants to Malaysia when it capsized close to Shah Parir island on Sunday.
The accident came to light only Tuesday after six survivors informed fishermen after being rescued. They swam ashore from about 50 nautical miles off Shah Parir island.
The coast guard and other agencies have been alerted for help, Mohammad Jashimuddin, the chief of Cox`s Bazaar district administration that governs the island, told Xinhua.
An official said the missing people may have been drowned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed