Over 120 missing in Bangladesh boat accident
Dhaka: More than 120 people were missing in Bangladesh after their boat capsized in the Bay of Bengal, officials said on Thursday.
The wooden boat was carrying 135 illegal immigrants to Malaysia when it capsized close to Shah Parir island on Sunday.
The accident came to light only Tuesday after six survivors informed fishermen after being rescued. They swam ashore from about 50 nautical miles off Shah Parir island.
The coast guard and other agencies have been alerted for help, Mohammad Jashimuddin, the chief of Cox`s Bazaar district administration that governs the island, told Xinhua.
An official said the missing people may have been drowned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali