Over 120 missing in Bangladesh boat accident
Dhaka: More than 120 people were missing in Bangladesh after their boat capsized in the Bay of Bengal, officials said on Thursday.
The wooden boat was carrying 135 illegal immigrants to Malaysia when it capsized close to Shah Parir island on Sunday.
The accident came to light only Tuesday after six survivors informed fishermen after being rescued. They swam ashore from about 50 nautical miles off Shah Parir island.
The coast guard and other agencies have been alerted for help, Mohammad Jashimuddin, the chief of Cox`s Bazaar district administration that governs the island, told Xinhua.
An official said the missing people may have been drowned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1
- 'Corporate governance reforms to promote sustainability'