Over 12,000 dead pigs fished out of rivers in China
Beijing: Bodies of over 12,000 dead pigs have been retrieved so far from the main waterbodies of China`s financial hub, Shanghai, and neighbouring Jiaxing.
Nearly 9,000 dead pigs were fished out of the Huangpu river in Shanghai, and 3,600 others from rivers and lakes in Jiaxing, with the search continuing in both cities, `The South China Morning Post` quoted government sources as saying.
Authorities have also found traces of a common pig virus in some of the animals floating in the Huangpu River this week.
"Shanghai`s animal control authority found `porcine circovirus`, a common disease among hogs that was not known to infect humans, in 13 of 20 samples of internal organs taken from dead pigs retrieved from the Huangpu," the newspaper quoted Ministry of Agricultural as saying.
The Huangpu river supplies a fifth of drinking water to Shanghai, one of China`s main commercial hub.
Both Shanghai, a city of 23 million people, and Jiaxing say there`s been no swine epidemic and that tap water remains safe, but local residents remain worried about water contamination.
Officials in Shanghai has blamed farmers in neighbouring Zhejiang province for throwing pigs, suspected to have died of disease, into the river upstream, although officials from the area have admitted to only a single producer doing so.
Authorities also said that after intensified checks they have not found any substandard pork products in the market and were closely monitoring the situation.
Pork accounted for 64 per cent of total meat output last year, and China`s increasingly wealthy urban residents consumed 21 kilograms of the meat per person in 2011.
A total of 130,000 households raised more than seven million hogs in Jiaxing last year - with 89 per cent of them running small farms with capacity for fewer than 50 pigs.
Earlier in 2008, China faced one of its biggest food-safety scandals when the industrial chemical `melamine` was found to have been illegally added to dairy products, killing at least six babies and 300,000 falling sick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly