Over 70 Taliban killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: Up to 70 Taliban militants have been killed in Afghanistan since Wednesday during military operations and clashes with security forces in different provinces, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
According to the Afghan interior ministry, as many as 27 Taliban were killed and eight others injured following 13 joint cleanup operations launched in Kabul, Laghman, Baghlan, Kunduz, Badakhshan, Sari Pul, and Kandahar provinces.
These operations were launched jointly by Afghan National Police (ANP), Afghan army and the National Directorate of Security (NDS), or Afghan intelligence agency in collaboration with the NATO-led coalition forces, the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry said the ANP also detained eight other suspected Taliban militants during the above raids.
In a separate development, up to 30 militants were killed overnight during clashes in the country`s Paktika province, some 155 km from Kabul, the provincial government said Thursday.
In addition, a total of 15 Taliban militants were killed by NATO-led forces` helicopters in the Kandahar province Wednesday, the provincial government said.
The counter-insurgency operations have been stepped up in the country particularly since early May this year when Taliban launched an annual rebel offensive to target security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA