PAF inducts air-to-air refuelling aircraft
Islamabad: The Pakistan Air Force has
inducted the first of four Il-78 air-to-air refuelling
aircraft ordered from Ukraine as part of plans to enhance its
A statement issued by PAF today said the country`s
first air-to-air refuelling aircraft "has arrived on an
operational airbase while the delivery of remaining three
(aircraft) is planned to be completed by mid-2010".
The statement did not say when the aircraft had
arrived or give further details.
Pakistan has ordered four Il-78 refuelling aircraft
from Ukraine and the first jet had been undergoing tests in
that country over the past few months.
The PAF`s fleet of Mirage combat jets is currently
capable of being refuelled in mid-air and other aircraft will
have to be modified for use with the air-to-air refuellers.
The statement said the "PAF`s overall capability in
terms of its effectiveness to defend the airspace of Pakistan
would be significantly enhanced" through the capability to
refuel combat jets in the air.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'