PAF officials brief Pak probe panel on Osama raid
Islamabad: A Pakistani panel probing the
secret US military raid that killed Osama bin Laden was on Saturday
briefed by senior air force officials, ahead of its key visit
to the al Qaeda chief`s compound in Abbottabad next week.
The commission, which is headed by a former Supreme Court
judge, visited the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) headquarters,
where the chief of the Headquarters Air Defence Command
briefed its members on events leading up to the American
operation in Abbottabad on May 2.
The panel was informed about the locations of low and
high-altitude radars and their operational readiness during
war and peace time, an official statement said.
The chief of the Headquarters Air Defence Command
indicated situations where the radar system cannot detect an
intruding aircraftor helicopter due to terrain limitations.
He said for the past many years and before May 2, PAF had
maintained a "peace time posture" on its western border with
The commission was also briefed by pilots who flew
aircraft for scanning the area for any intruders on the night
between May 1 and 2.
"On learning about the operation, PAF immediately took
adequate operational measures as per standard operating
procedure," the statement said.
PAF aircraft continued their presence in Abbottabad
area till early morning on May 2 and later returned to their
The Air Officer commanding and pilots responded to
questions from the commission.
The panel has been asked by the government to ascertain
how Bin Laden managed to live in Pakistan for several years,
investigate the US operation that killed him, determine the
nature and causes of lapses by authorities, and make suitable
The inquiry commission will visit the al-Qaeda chief`s
compound in Abbottabad during September 13-15, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'