Pak: 25 jailed for eating in public during Ramadan
Islamabad: A total of 25 people were arrested and sent to jail in Pakistan`s central Punjab province for eating in public during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
The people were arrested in Faisalabad city this week for violating the Ehteram-e-Ramadan Ordinance, officials said. A spokesman of the city district government said special teams had been formed to conduct raids and nab persons who were found eating in public.
The raiding teams arrested 25 people from across the city for eating and drinking in public. These people were sent to jail for 72 hours, the spokesman said.
The Pakistan government has prohibited eating, drinking and smoking in public places during the fasting hours of Ramadan to "ensure the sanctity of the month".
The restrictions were imposed under the Ehteram-e-Ramadan Ordinance, which was introduced during the regime of late military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.
The Ordinance prohibits serving of foods in public places, sets closure timings of cinema halls, theatres and other establishments and directs authorities to take steps for maintaining the sanctity of Ramadan.
Under the ordinance, all cinema halls, theatres and similar establishments will have to remain closed during Ramadan from sunset for a period of three hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' trailer leaves fans spellbound; earns 3 mn views in one day!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Iris with 'iris recognition' launched in India at Rs 13,999
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik detained in Srinagar ahead of Thursday's shutdown
- IPL 2016: Revealed – This is Sunrisers Hyderabad's Mustafizur Rahman’s biggest fear!
- Centre renames disability department; 'viklang' to be called as 'divyang'