Pak 26/11 panel to quiz officials from Mar 17
Islamabad: A Pakistani judicial panel will
travel to India and interview key officials during March 17-20
as part of the probe into the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks,
prosecutors said on Saturday.
The Pakistani prosecutors gave anti-terrorism court Judge
Shahid Rafique details of the commission`s visit to India
beginning on March 14, sources said.
The panel will travel from Lahore to Delhi, where its
members will be briefed by Indian authorities. The next day,
the commission will travel to Mumbai.
The panel will record the statements of key Indian
officials in Mumbai during March 17-20 before returning to
Pakistan, the prosecutors told the court during proceedings
held behind closed doors at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
The anti-terrorism court is conducting the trial of seven
suspects, including Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman
Lakhvi, who have been charged with planning, financing and
executing the terror attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people
in November 2008.
The judge also disposed of an application from defence
lawyers seeking the report of the chief investigation officer
in Mumbai and adjourned the case till March 17.
The defence lawyers lodged a protest with the court for
not providing them with copies of the itinerary of the visit
"Despite the court`s direction, the coordinator of the
commission is not providing us the itinerary," defence lawyer
Riaz Cheema said.
The court has appointed Fazal Majid, a Deputy Director in
the Interior Ministry, as the coordinator of the commission.
Cheema said: "We have been told that the coordinator will
provide us the itinerary on Monday".
He claimed the chief prosecutor had not confirmed whether
visas had been issued to the commission`s members by India.
Senior Indian officials said Pakistani authorities were
in touch with the Indian High Commission for processing the
visas for the nine members of the commission.
Besides two prosecutors and the coordinator, the
commission includes five defence lawyers and an official of
the Foreign Ministry.
The commission is scheduled to record the statements of
the magistrate who recorded the confession of Ajmal Kasab, the
lone surviving attacker, the police officer who led the
investigation in Mumbai and two doctors who conducted the
autopsies of the terrorists and victims.
The commission can only record the statements of these
persons and it cannot conduct any cross-examination, Indian
The trial of the seven Pakistani suspects has stalled due
to various technical issues for the past year. Pakistani
prosecutors have said the commission`s visit to India is
necessary to take forward the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India