Pak: 6 hurt as man throws acid on hospital staff
Lahore: Six persons, including three nurses, suffered burns when a man threw acid on them in the emergency ward of a hospital in this eastern Pakistani city, officials said to on Thursday.
The man entered the emergency ward of Mayo Hospital last night and asked his wife, a nurse named Rehmana, to go along with him.
When she refused to do so, the man tried to drag her and her colleagues intervened, Medical Superintendent Zahid Pervez said.
The man then threw acid at them, injuring three nurses and as many attendants.
Para-medical staff overpowered the man and gave him a sound thrashing before handing him over to police.
Officials said the injured were admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital. The condition of Rehmana and the two other nurses is critical, they said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Rai Muhammad Tahir said the man responsible for the attack had been identified as Muhammad Irfan, a resident of Sheikhupura district, 40 km from Lahore.
Tahir said Irfan came to the hospital to take his wife along with him. The couple had been estranged for some time.
A case has been registered against Irfan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened