Pak: 6 hurt as man throws acid on hospital staff
Lahore: Six persons, including three nurses, suffered burns when a man threw acid on them in the emergency ward of a hospital in this eastern Pakistani city, officials said to on Thursday.
The man entered the emergency ward of Mayo Hospital last night and asked his wife, a nurse named Rehmana, to go along with him.
When she refused to do so, the man tried to drag her and her colleagues intervened, Medical Superintendent Zahid Pervez said.
The man then threw acid at them, injuring three nurses and as many attendants.
Para-medical staff overpowered the man and gave him a sound thrashing before handing him over to police.
Officials said the injured were admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital. The condition of Rehmana and the two other nurses is critical, they said.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Rai Muhammad Tahir said the man responsible for the attack had been identified as Muhammad Irfan, a resident of Sheikhupura district, 40 km from Lahore.
Tahir said Irfan came to the hospital to take his wife along with him. The couple had been estranged for some time.
A case has been registered against Irfan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...