Pak a partner of terrorists killing Americans: US
Washington: A key US lawmaker has said that Pakistan is not a friend of the United States, while alleging that instead it is a "partner" of terrorist who murdered fellow Americans.
"The continued incarceration of Dr (Shakeel) Afridi by the Pakistani government should reaffirm to all Americans that Pakistan is not our friend but instead is the partner of terrorists who murder our fellow Americans," Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, chairman of House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations, said yesterday.
Rohrabacher had this year introduced legislation to award Dr Afridi, the imprisoned Pak physician who helped CIA trace Osama bin Laden, the Congressional Gold Medal and offered a personal relief bill to grant him US Citizenship.
"As we commemorate the monstrous crime committed against America on 9-11 and honour the brave, innocent souls lost, let us also remember an heroic figure in bringing to justice those who murdered our fellow citizens on this day eleven years ago," he said.
"As I speak, Dr Afridi, the man who risked his life to provide the intel our forces needed to locate and eliminate Osama Bin Laden, languishes in a Pakistani jail. There has been no resolution through Congress nor public efforts by the US government to support him in his hour of need," Rohrabacher said.
The Pakistani physician has been tortured, his family been attacked and he is still in a desperate situation, the US lawmaker added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city