Pak: Activists of Jamaat`s student wing arrested
Lahore: Pakistani police on Friday arrested over 50 activists of the Islami Jamiat Tulba, the student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami, who were protesting against the murder of a member of the organisation.
Hundreds of IJT activists gathered at the Mall Road in Lahore to protest the government`s failure to arrest the killer of Muhammad Awais, a Law College student.
The Punjab government has imposed a ban on all public meetings on the Mall Road. The road became a battleground as police used batons to disperse the protesters.
About a dozen students suffered minor injuries during clashes with the police.
"We arrested 54 IJT members for violating the ban on public gatherings on Mall Road," police spokesman Niyab Haider said.
He said a case had been registered against them.
Awais was killed a couple of days ago by his classmate following a dispute over the allotment of a hostel room.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya