Pak: Activists of Jamaat`s student wing arrested
Lahore: Pakistani police on Friday arrested over 50 activists of the Islami Jamiat Tulba, the student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami, who were protesting against the murder of a member of the organisation.
Hundreds of IJT activists gathered at the Mall Road in Lahore to protest the government`s failure to arrest the killer of Muhammad Awais, a Law College student.
The Punjab government has imposed a ban on all public meetings on the Mall Road. The road became a battleground as police used batons to disperse the protesters.
About a dozen students suffered minor injuries during clashes with the police.
"We arrested 54 IJT members for violating the ban on public gatherings on Mall Road," police spokesman Niyab Haider said.
He said a case had been registered against them.
Awais was killed a couple of days ago by his classmate following a dispute over the allotment of a hostel room.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand