Pak, Afghan FMs to discuss Saudi role in Afghan peace process
Islamabad: Saudi Arabia`s possible role in the reconciliation process in Afghanistan will be the focus of an upcoming meeting between Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and her Afghan counterpart Zalmai Rasoul in Riyadh.
The meeting will be held in the wake of interactions between Saudi officials and representatives of the Taliban and Hizb-e-Islami party led by former Afghan premier Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
"Together the Pakistani and Afghan Foreign Ministers will travel to Saudi Arabia, possibly this year, for trilateral talks," an Afghan diplomat told PTI in Islamabad.
Rasoul will soon visit Islamabad for talks with Khar and the plan to visit Riyadh will top their agenda, the diplomat said.
Earlier, Saudi Arabia was unwilling to get involved in the Afghan peace process unless the Taliban shunned al Qaeda.
Now the kingdom has agreed in principle to act on a joint request from the US, Pakistan and Afghanistan to back the troubled peace process.
"Saudi officials will brief the Pakistani and Afghan Foreign Ministers about their talks with the Taliban and Hizb-e-Islami representatives," said the diplomat, who did not want to be named.
President Hamid Karzai reached an understanding to formally seek Saudi help for the Afghan peace process during his talks with Pakistani leaders in Islamabad in February, said another official, who was part of the Afghan delegation that visited Pakistan.
Diplomatic sources said the US had sought Saudi help after the Taliban pulled out of talks with American interlocutors in Qatar in March.
Some Afghan analysts are sceptical about the success of the Saudi initiative and said the Taliban are unlikely to opt for another venue for talks as it will weaken the Qatar-centric dialogue.
Waheed Mujda, an Afghan analyst, said from Kabul that the Taliban were interested in opening an office in Qatar to gain official and global recognition.
"(So) they will not be interested in the Saudi initiative and will never weaken the Qatar process," Mujda said.
On the other hand, former senior Taliban leader Agha Jan Mutasim said he was confident that Saudi Arabia could play an important role in view of the "kingdom`s spiritual recognition."
Mutasim, who once headed the Taliban`s powerful political commission, said the intervention of the Saudis could yield positive results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi