Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday condemned the suicide attack at a military base in eastern Afghanistan in which at least 33 people were killed, and expressed confidence that through coordinated measures the two countries would root out menace of terrorism from the region.
"Our deepest sympathies and condolences go to the families of the victims. Pakistan reiterates its condemnation of terrorism, in all its forms and manifestations. Such acts are deplorable and cannot be tolerated under any circumstances," the Foreign Office said in a statement.
It said that terrorism is the common enemy that has afflicted the whole region.
"We are confident that through coordinated measures Pakistan and Afghanistan would root out this menace from our countries and the region," it said.
At least 33 people, which included 27 civilians and six Afghan security personnel, were killed on July 12 in a suicide car bomb attack near a military base in Afghanistan's eastern province of Khost, where Afghan and foreign soldiers are stationed.
The bomber detonated the explosives at a military roadblock near the entrance to Camp Chapman as people were rushing to get home for iftar, the meal breaking the Ramazan fast.
Condemning the attack, the Foreign Office said that government and people of Pakistan share the grief and sorrow of their Afghan brothers, and stand in full solidarity with them.
Traditionally, Kabul accused Islamabad for bloodshed in the country due to its alleged links with Taliban but the relations between the two countries have now improved.
Pakistan last week also hosted the first-ever direct talks between Afghan officials and Taliban rebels to help reconciliation in the war-torn country.