Pak agencies holding at least 700 without trial
Islamabad: Pakistani security agencies are holding at least 700 people indefinitely without trial in connection with the "war on terror", the country`s top law officer informed the Supreme Court Thursday.
Attorney General Irfan Qadir made the disclosure before a three-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry that was hearing the case of seven men detained without charge by intelligence agencies since May 2010.
Qadir said the 700 suspects were arrested in the lawless tribal belt, where the army has been fighting the Taliban and other militant groups.
He said the suspects could not be freed till operations end in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, a semi-autonomous zone bordering Afghanistan.
"There are about 700 people detained in the tribal areas and they cannot be released until the ongoing military operation in those regions concludes...The detained men can be handed over to authorities only after the operation is halted in the tribal regions," he said.
Qadir did not say how long the people had been in custody.
The apex court expressed dissatisfaction over a report submitted by the Secretary of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas on the seven men who have been detained without charge.
On Monday, the Chief Justice had directed intelligence agencies to release the seven men if they were unable by present evidence against them but they continue to be in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark