Pak agencies holding at least 700 without trial
Islamabad: Pakistani security agencies are holding at least 700 people indefinitely without trial in connection with the "war on terror", the country`s top law officer informed the Supreme Court Thursday.
Attorney General Irfan Qadir made the disclosure before a three-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry that was hearing the case of seven men detained without charge by intelligence agencies since May 2010.
Qadir said the 700 suspects were arrested in the lawless tribal belt, where the army has been fighting the Taliban and other militant groups.
He said the suspects could not be freed till operations end in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, a semi-autonomous zone bordering Afghanistan.
"There are about 700 people detained in the tribal areas and they cannot be released until the ongoing military operation in those regions concludes...The detained men can be handed over to authorities only after the operation is halted in the tribal regions," he said.
Qadir did not say how long the people had been in custody.
The apex court expressed dissatisfaction over a report submitted by the Secretary of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas on the seven men who have been detained without charge.
On Monday, the Chief Justice had directed intelligence agencies to release the seven men if they were unable by present evidence against them but they continue to be in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?