Pak Air Force at higher alert after US drone attacks: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan has intensified air patrols and surveillance over its restive tribal areas bordering Afghanistan, especially North Waziristan, and put its Air Force at a higher alert level in the wake of US drone attacks that killed over 40 people, a media report said on Saturday.
Orders were issued on Thursday at the "highest level" on an "emergency basis", including cancellation of leave of all personnel involved in air reconnaissance, BBC Urdu quoted its sources in the Pakistan Air Force as saying.
The leave of all personnel stationed at airbases and the PAF headquarters in Islamabad too had been cancelled and officials at sensitive installations had been asked to ensure the presence of all personnel on Saturday and Sunday, the sources were quoted as saying.
Some "operational changes" had been made but they are being kept secret though these are apparently related to round-the-clock active reconnaissance in the tribal belt, the sources said.
The administrative and operational changes are part of Pakistan`s efforts to quickly respond to threats from the CIA-operated drones, the sources said.
A spokesman for the PAF declined to confirm or deny the reports.
He said that the PAF chief had given his views on drone strikes some time ago and this was still valid in view of current developments.
Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman had said some time ago that his force is capable of shooting down the drones.
Pakistan has lodged a strong protest with the US after drone strikes in North Waziristan Agency on Thursday killed 44 people, a majority of them members of a tribal jirga and a government militia force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees