Pak amendment will strip Zia-ul-Haq from president`s title
Islamabad: Twenty-two years after his death in a mysterious plane crash, late Pakistan strongman Zia-ul-Haq faces his presidency being blotted out from history books when a constitutional amendment package is passed by lawmakers this week.
Under the bill to be tabled in Parliament, Zia-ul-Haq will be stripped of his title of president as his election as president through a controversial referendum in December 1984 will be deleted from the Constitution, The News daily reported today.
After the passage of the constitutional reforms package, Zia-ul-Haq will be known only as a General and not as the president, the report said.
Clause 7 of Article 41 of the Constitution is expected to be deleted to strip the late dictator of his title of president.
After holding the referendum one year before the general election of 1985, Zia-ul-Haq had got himself declared as the President when article 41 was added to the Constitution at his behest the same year.
However, the report noted that a "large number" of lawmakers in the lower and upper houses of the current Parliament were part of the Majlis-e-Shoora of Zia-ul-Haq and had "greatly helped him" win the referendum.
"They would now vote against their own actions of the past to strip him of the title of the President of Pakistan," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report