Pak apex court suspends Rehman Malik from Senate
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court Monday suspended the Senate membership of Interior Minister Rehman Malik for holding dual nationality, a media report said.
A three-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, heard the case of Malik holding dual nationality of Britain and Pakistan, reported Geo News.
Malik said he had forfeited his British citizenship but he failed to provide sufficient documents to the apex court.
The apex court had earlier suspended the National Assembly membership of Pakistan Peoples Party lawmaker Farahnaz Ispahani, and has issued notice to Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Sheikh in a similar case.
A fresh petition submitted Monday named 14 other parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies who, it claimed, held dual nationalities. The lawmakers have been issued notices by the court.
The court adjourned the hearing till June 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'