Pak apex court suspends Rehman Malik from Senate
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court Monday suspended the Senate membership of Interior Minister Rehman Malik for holding dual nationality, a media report said.
A three-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, heard the case of Malik holding dual nationality of Britain and Pakistan, reported Geo News.
Malik said he had forfeited his British citizenship but he failed to provide sufficient documents to the apex court.
The apex court had earlier suspended the National Assembly membership of Pakistan Peoples Party lawmaker Farahnaz Ispahani, and has issued notice to Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Sheikh in a similar case.
A fresh petition submitted Monday named 14 other parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies who, it claimed, held dual nationalities. The lawmakers have been issued notices by the court.
The court adjourned the hearing till June 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Worms found in burgers from two Kentucky McDonald’s restaurants
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!