Pak approves self-governance for Northern Areas
Islamabad: In a move with far-reaching
implications, the Pakistan government today approved a
self-governance and reforms package for the Northern Areas,
renaming it as "Gilgit-Baltistan", part of Jammu and Kashmir
currently under Islamabad`s occupation.
The strategically located Northern Areas, which
borders the North West Frontier Province to the west,
Afghanistan and China to the north and Jammu and Kashmir to
the east, will have rights akin to those of Pakistan`s four
provinces, said Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
The "Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self Governance
Order 2009", unveiled by Gilani at a news conference, is also
aimed at giving the Northern Areas "full internal autonomy"
and changing the region`s name to Gilgit-Baltistan.
The order will come into effect after President Asif
Ali Zardari formally ratifies it by issuing an official
Federal Minister Farooq Sattar told reporters
separately that elections will be held in the Northern Areas
in the next three months to install a government like the one
in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Sattar also said a cabinet committee will be
constituted to "remove hurdles for merging Gilgit-Baltistan
into Pakistan in accordance with the resolutions of the UN".
India says that the Northern Areas are part of its
territory as they were part of Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof