Pak Army capable of defeating aggressive design: Kayani
Islamabad: Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Friday
said the Pakistan Army is capable of defeating any aggressive
design or "cold start doctrine", in an apparent reference to
Indian Army`s new military doctorine including scenarios such
as a two-front war with China and Pakistan.
The powerful Army Chief also warned that "proponents
of conventional application of military forces in a `nuclear
overhang` are chartering an adventurous and dangerous path,
the consequences of which could be both unintended and
Kayani made the remarks while addressing senior
officers at the army`s General Headquarters in the garrison
city of Rawalpindi.
Though Kayani did not name India in his comments, he
left very little doubt as to who he was referring to as he
pointedly mentioned the Indian Army`s "cold start doctrine".
Indian Army officials have said that the doctrine, which is reviewed every five years at the Army`s Shimla-based Training Command, will now include scenarios such as a two-front simultaneous war with both China and Pakistan.
In keeping with Pakistan’s standing as a "responsible
nuclear-capable state", the army will "contribute to strategic
stability and strategic restraint as per the stated policy" of
the government, Kayani said.
"But at the same time, (the Pakistan Army) will
continue to maintain the necessary wherewithal to deter and if
required, defeat any aggressive design in any form or shape i.
e. a firmed up `proactive strategy` or a `cold start
doctrine`," Kayani was quoted saying in a statement issued by
the Inter-Services Public Relations.
"The Pakistan Army is fully alert and alive to the
full spectrum of threat which continues to exist in
conventional and unconventional domains. Pakistan is not
oblivious to the unprecedented acquisition of sophisticated
military hardware, synergized with an offensive military
doctrine," he said.
Kayani further stated that "peace and stability in
South Asia and beyond is the logical and fundamental principle
underlining the security calculus/paradigm of Pakistan".
The Pakistan Army "stands committed and prepared to
respond to any existing, potential or emerging threat", he
"An army supported by 170 million people, with faith
in Allah, is a formidable force to reckon with," Kayani said.
Pakistan`s Foreign Office had yesterday criticised the
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said the doctrine
"betray a hostile intent as well as a hegemonic and jingoistic
mindset which is quite out of step with the realities of our
The strong reactions from the Pakistani government and
military came after the local media extensively reported on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read