Pak Army Chief asks US to stop drone strikes
Islamabad: Pakistan Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has urged the United States to stop the drone attacks, saying it is proving counter productive and creating a negative impact on the global ‘war on terror’.
During his meeting with US Central Command Chief General David Petraeus, who is currently on a visit to Pakistan, Kayani also raised the issue of India’s alleged involvement in destabilising Pakistan through Afghanistan.
Several issues such as the Pak-US defence and Army relations, the security scenario in the whole region, war against terrorism, US policy concerning drone attacks in the country, US’ new Afghan Policy came under discussions during the meeting, The Nation reports.
General Petraeus also assuaged Pakistan’s concerns over the Obama administration’s plans of expanding drone strikes in the country.
He added that the US strategy for Afghanistan would not affect Pakistan.
In a separate meeting with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Petraeus briefed the former regarding the revamped Afghan strategy.
During the meeting Gilani welcomed Obama’s affirmation of strong ties between the two countries.
He said Pakistan and the US share the common strategic objectives for a peaceful and stable Afghanistan as well as combating terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?