Pak Army chief attends meeting of Afghan Tripartit
Islamabad: Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani Tuesday attended a meeting of the Tripartite Commission of Afghanistan, Pakistan and ISAF in Kabul that reviewed ongoing military operations in the region and the planned withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan.
The meeting, held at the Afghan Defence Ministry, was part of the "Tripartite Coordination Mechanism" and was also attended by Acting ISAF commander Lt Gen Nicholas Carter and Afghan Army chief Gen Sher Muhammad Karimi and their delegations.
The generals reviewed "ongoing military operations in Afghanistan and adjoining tribal areas of Pakistan", said a statement from the Pakistani military.
The meeting was significant as a document for a "Tripartite Border Coordination Mechanism" was signed to improve coordination along the frontier, the statement said.
The generals discussed the "transition of responsibility from ISAF to Afghan National Security Forces as per the ISAF drawdown plan 2014 and measures to gradually enhance Pakistan-Afghan bilateral border coordination arrangements till and beyond 2014", the statement said.
The three sides agreed to "continue cooperation for enduring success, peace and stability" on both sides of the Afghan-Pakistan border.
Before the meeting, Kayani called on President Hamid Karzai at the presidential palace and discussed "matters of mutual interest".
Yesterday, Kayani had held his first meeting with Richard Olson, the new US Ambassador to Pakistan, at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi.
Olson and Kayani discussed matters of mutual interest, a military spokesman said without giving details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it
- Sonam Kapoor supports women entrepreneurs' exhibition