Pak Army chief links Balochistan to fight against terror
New Delhi: Just days after Balochistan was referred to in the Indo-Pak joint statement issued in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt following a meeting between Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh and Yousaf Raza Gilani, Islamabad has already launched an all-out propaganda against the alleged Indian interference in its troubled province.
Reports in the US media suggest quoting official Pakistani sources that the country’s Army Chief Ashfaq Pervez Kayani recently tried to establish a connect between Islamabad’s action against the Lashkar-e-Toiba and New Delhi ending its alleged covert operations in Balochistan.
The New York Times reported that Kayani, in conversations with the Obama administration, had tried to link Pak’s action against terror to stabilisation in Balochistan.
“They say, ‘We are being more vigilant,’ but add, ‘By the way, India has to stop messing around in Balochistan,” the NYT quoted an American official familiar with the conversations as saying of the Pakistanis, referring to the Balochistan province that has been torn by a brutal sectarian struggle, in which Pakistan has accused India of financing insurgents.
Kayani`s move has made it clear that Pakistan would use the Balochistan reference in the joint statement in future to defend its action against terror groups and the delay in the 26/11 trial.
Islamabad may even go to the extent of comparing India’s foreign intelligence agency, RAW to its own ISI, which New Delhi has consistently blamed for anti-India activities. Pakistan is now expected to accuse the RAW of destabilising Balochistan, both at bilateral talks as well as international fora.
Richard Holbrooke, the US’ special envoy for Af-Pak, is already believed to have spoken to Indian officials about India’s “activities” in Balochistan.
Gilani too, following the ‘victory’ at Sharm-el-Sheikh, has made sure the issue of Balochistan doesn’t die soon.
While announcing the beginning of a new chapter in relations with India, Gilani has said the joint statement “underlines (Pakistan’s) concerns over Indian interference in Balochistan and other areas of Pakistan” and “calls for working to create an atmosphere of mutual trust and confidence”.
Prime Minister Singh is due to make a statement in Parliament on Wednesday to tell why he let the Pakistani propaganda on Balochistan be added in the joint statement.
Whatever the PM says tomorrow to defend that error, Pakistanis are already celebrating. “We’ve externalised an internal problem,” the Wall Street Journal quoted a senior Pakistani official as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in