Pak Army consolidates positions around Sararogha; 32 killed
Islamabad: The Pakistani military was engaged in fierce battles in the Taliban strongholds in South Waziristan to consolidate positions around the rebel base of Sararogha as 30 militants and two soldiers were killed in clashes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.
Twenty militants were killed and eight soldiers, including an officer, injured in fighting in different parts of South Waziristan over the past 24 hours, the military said.
Ten rebels and two soldiers were killed in fighting in Mohmand tribal region, officials said.
Security forces strengthened their positions around the Taliban stronghold of Sararogha and nearby villages.
Three militants were killed in a skirmish in this area.
Troops in the militant stronghold of Makeen and nearby areas were targeted with small arms and rockets during search and clearance operations.
Five militants were killed in retaliatory action.
The heaviest fighting was reported from around the former Taliban stronghold of Kaniguram, where 12 militants were killed and eight soldiers, including an officer, injured during a gun battle.
The military said troops were conducting search operations in this area and had seized a huge quantity of arms, ammunition and explosives, including RPG-7 rockets, IEDs and 15 sacks of potassium chloride.
Soldiers also found a facility for making electrical circuits and remote controls for IEDs.
In Mohmand Agency, 10 militants and two soldiers were killed during clashes in Zachmir Kund area, officials said.
The fighting began when militants attacked security forces during a search operation.
Five security personnel were injured during the clashes that continued for about four hours.
The military says over 480 militants and more than 40 soldiers have died so far in fighting in South Waziristan though these figures cannot be independently verified as journalists have no access to the conflict zone.
The Army has mobilised over 30,000 troops for Operation Rah-e-Nijat (Path to Salvation), which is aimed at flushing out an estimated 10,000 Taliban and foreign fighters.
Security forces also continued search and clearance operations in the northwestern Swat valley, where 18 militants were arrested while three rebels surrendered to authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh