Pak Army geared to avert cross-border Afghan raids
Islamabad: Pakistan has deployed regular
army troops along its border with Afghanistan in three
districts previously guarded by paramilitary forces following
a series of cross-border attacks by militants, the chief
military spokesman said on Tuesday.
Regular troops had been deployed along the Afghan border
in Chitral, Lower Dir and Upper Dir districts of
Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, chief military spokesman Maj Gen
Athar Abbas told the media.
"The deployment is aimed at preventing terrorist attacks
from Afghan soil," he said.
The regular troops had taken up positions at forward
bases that were earlier manned by paramilitary troopers and
Reports said the army`s top brass took the step following
demands from local residents to deploy soldiers to prevent
attacks by militants based in Afghanistan.
Local residents said soldiers were seen moving towards
the border in Upper Dir yesterday.
Residents of Upper Dir said they feared a military
operation might be launched in the district.
Official sources rejected these reports, saying troops
were being deployed in the area to prevent militant attacks.
In recent weeks, Pakistani Taliban fighters based in
Afghanistan have carried out one attack in Lower Dir, two in
Upper Dir and one in Chitral.
Dozens of policemen and Levies militia personnel were
killed in these strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read