Pak Army HQ attack: 40 suspects picked up in Lahore
Lahore: Four days after Taliban`s brazen strike on Pakistan`s Army headquarters, security agencies are continuing their sweep to nab suspects involved in the attack and other recent militant assaults and have arrested about 40 people over the past two days.
In an operation in this capital of Punjab province, police picked up 40 people, including a key suspect Luqman, 25, who was caught with an explosive jacket, police said.
Most of the suspects arrested here belong to banned militant groups like the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Siphah-e-Sahaba, Sipah-e-Muhammad and Jaish-e-Mohammad, all Punjabi militant groups.
"They were arrested for their alleged links with those carrying out terrorist attacks across the country," a senior police officer said.
Luqman was nabbed at one of 16 checkpoints set up along the 75-km boundary between Punjab and the restive North West Frontier Province.
Luqman has links with Aqeel alias Dr Usman, who was shot and caught during the commando operation to clear the occupation by militants of the intelligence office in the Army Headquarter complex, a police source told reporters.
The police source said Luqman also had links with Hanif Gabol, a resident of Choti Zaireen who was involved in recruiting teenage seminary students for training in militant
camps in the lawless Waziristan tribal region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened