Pak Army involved in Bhutto murder?, probes UN panel
Islamabad: In a new twist, the UN Commission, probing into the assassination of Pakistan`s former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, is now suspecting involvement of Pakistani soldiers in the plot.
Pakistani officials said they were searching for four military personnel who had disappeared just before the suicide attack on Bhutto during an election rally in Rawalpindi in December 2007.
The missing soldiers were retired Army personnel who were among the eight Army men related to the main accused and a proclaimed offender in the case, Ibad Ur Rehman, Interior Ministry officials said.
The investigators were facing difficulties in determining the exact status of these soldiers and so far no record had been provided. The four other soldiers are still serving the Army, the officials told DawnNews.
The four missing Army personnel had never been mentioned before in the legal proceedings.
Pakistan had sought a UN probe a year ago after its own investigations and those by Scotland Yard failed to make headway into Bhutto`s killing on December 27, 2007 in a gun and bomb attack as she left a political rally in the garrison town of Rawalpindi.
The four-member probe commission which was constituted in June last year is expected to submit its report by the end of this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- Assembly elections: AAP to release 'Dalit Manifestos' in Punjab, Gujarat, Goa
- Kolkata teenager's death: Police look for answers
- SP government not following Lohia, women unsafe in UP: Nitish
- Over 3,000 migrants dead in Mediterranean so far in 2016
- North Korea says any further nuclear test depends on US