Pak Army major called Sahazad just before failed blast
Washington: A Pakistani Army Major had been in telephonic contact with Faisal Shahzad, who allegedly attempted to bomb Times Square in New York, including the possibility that they spoke shortly before the failed bombing.
Pakistani and US investigators cited growing evidence on Saturday that the major had cellphone contact with Shahzad just before the attempted bombing.
US officials said they were aware of cellphone traffic between Shahzad and the unidentified Pakistani military officer, bolstering reports days earlier from Pakistani law enforcement sources, the Los Angeles Times reports.
A Pakistani law enforcement source said the major had cellphone contact with Shahzad on May 01, the day of the botched bombing, including a conversation that occurred as the Pakistani American was allegedly parking his SUV rigged with propane tanks, fertilizer and fireworks.
Investigators are keenly interested in the Pakistani Army major’s role in the failed bombing because he had more than one cellphone conversation with Shahzad from the time the suspect allegedly loaded his Nissan Pathfinder with bomb components to the moment he parked the vehicle and walked away, said the Pakistani source.
US officials said they could not confirm that timing of the conversations between Shahzad and the major.
US investigators have limited information about the major, who is in custody in Pakistan, and are negotiating with the Pakistani Government to interrogate him, they said.
The Pakistani source said the sequence of phone calls suggests that the Army major was aware of the plan Shahzad is accused of trying to carry out.
Investigators know of at least one meeting between the major and Shahzad in Pakistan`s capital, Islamabad, sometime in 2009, the Pakistani source said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata