`Pak Army restless over treatment meted to Musharraf`
Islamabad: Pakistan`s armed forces are turning restless on the treatment being meted out to Pervez Musharraf, according to the former army chief`s counsel.
Counsel Ahmed Raza Qasuri said many ex-servicemen had condemned the situation during a meeting with him. He said the trial should not be confined to Musharraf only, but all those who abetted in violating the constitution should also be brought to justice, reports the Daily Times.
Targeting Nawaz Sharif, Qasuri said that the PML-N chief was also included in the list of abettors who had helped a dictator abrogate the constitution, as he was a beneficiary of Gen Zia regime and had publicly announced to follow in his footsteps.
Furthermore, he accused the judges of taking oath under the Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO), promulgated by Musharraf. Coming hard on the judiciary, Qasuri said he had compiled a list of 150 judges who took oath under PCOs.
Musharraf returned to Pakistan last month after four years of self-imposed exile in London and Dubai to contest the May 11 parliamentary elections for his All Pakistan Muslim League party.
He was disqualified from the election race after his nomination papers from all four constituencies were rejected.
Musharraf is facing legal cases, including treason charges for imposing emergency rule, the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto and the killing of Baloch leader Nawab Akbar Bugti in 2006.
Musharraf, who ruled Pakistan from 1999 to 2008, denied all charges and said he would defend himself in courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience