Pak Army slapped with Rs 120 bn `bill` for using stadium
Islamabad: The Pakistan Army has been slapped with a whopping Rs 120 billion (USD 1.3 billion) `bill` for using a Lahore stadium for decades by the auditor general of Pakistan.
There were tense moments during the proceedings of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Thursday when Defence Secretary Lt Gen (Retd) Athar Ali accused the auditor-general of Pakistan of maligning the Army by sending it a `bill` of Rs 120 billion for using the Fortress Stadium in Lahore ‘illegally` for decades, the Express Tribune reported.
Athar Ali spoke up after the attorney-general brought an audit paragraph before the committee that said the Army has been illegally using more than a 100,000 square-yard-area of the Fortress Stadium for commercial purposes without any lawful authority.
The attorney-general claimed that the rent generated from this commercial activity was deposited into military accounts, not with the government.
The official was quoted as saying that a total of Rs 120 billion were collected by the military from this activity and that the amount should now be deposited with the government in its consolidated fund.
Athar Ali said this was an attempt to malign the Army and stressed that the army could not have collected such a huge amount from the Fortress Stadium.
The PAC formed a joint committee, comprising members of the audit department and the defence and finance ministries, to probe the matter and submit its report within a month for a final decision, the media report said.
Committee chairman Nisar Ali Khan said the Army was being brought into disrepute by some individuals for their personal interests, as a result of which the whole institution was paying the price.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi