`Pak Army’s control of foreign policy should end`
Islamabad: Former Pakistan premier Nawaz Sharif has sought the end of the Army`s control over foreign policy, saying all state institutions should function within their constitutional domain.
The chief of the main opposition PML-N made the remarks yesterday while speaking at a meeting organised in Lahore by the South Asian Free Media Association to honour slain journalist Syed Saleem Shehzad.
The military`s control of foreign policy must end along with "duplicity and parallel government", he said.
The Constitution, judiciary and law cannot be broken any longer and any attempt to impose military rule in future will be thwarted, Sharif said.
"They (state institutions) have to pledge that they will not come out of their constitutional domain. If they come out, it is my duty and the duty of the people to block their path," he said.
"We will not allow anyone to play such games in Pakistan... There are no sacred cows, no should try to become sacred cows and we not allow anyone to become sacred cows," he said.
Pakistan`s own institutions had caused more harm to the Kashmir cause than anyone else, Sharif said.
In this regard, he mentioned how former military ruler Pervez Musharraf had launched the Kargil intrusions in 1999 while keeping the Army`s Corps Commanders and the Air Force and Navy chiefs in the dark.
Those who act against the constitution and the judiciary will not be tolerated, he added.
Sharif urged the Supreme Court to take suo motu notice of the murder of Shahzad, who was killed days after he alleged in an article that al Qaeda had infiltrated the Pakistan Navy.
The PML-N will keep raising its voice till Shahzad`s assassins are arrested. He demanded that the government should set up a commission to probe the murder.
The operation conducted by US forces in Abbottabad to kill Osama bin Laden last month, the terrorist attack on the PNS Mehran naval airbase in Karachi and US drone attacks are the "outcome of our weaknesses and negligence", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?