Pak: ATM machines, rail tracks targeted in 19 blasts
Islamabad: At least 19 low-intensity bomb blasts targeted ATM machines of state-run banks and railway tracks in Sindh province of southern Pakistan on Wednesday, injuring six persons, including two policemen.
The explosions occurred in cities and towns across Sindh, including the capital city of Karachi, early this morning.
A private security guard was injured in a blast at a bank in Kotri town while two policemen were wounded in blasts at Hyderabad and Dorki, officials of the provincial Home Department said.
Five blasts targeted ATM machines outside branches of the National Bank of Pakistan and Sindh Bank in Hyderabad city.
Blasts were also reported in Kotri, Dadu, Badin, Sukkur, Nawabshah, Thatta, Ranipur, Khairpur Nathan Shah, Tando Mohammad Khan and Larkana.
Two vehicles were damaged in the blast at Kotri.
A shop adjacent to the National Bank branch in Jamshoro was damaged by a blast.
One low-intensity explosion damaged railway tracks near Ghotki.
The Jaffar Express train, going from Punjab to Sindh, had a narrow escape, media reports said.
Local residents gathered at the tracks and signalled the train to stop.
A blast was also reported at Gulistan-e-Johar area of Karachi though there were no casualties.
In Hyderabad city, an injured man underwent surgery while other wounded were discharged after being given first aid, said Anwar Arain, a doctor at the Civil Hospital.
Latif Ansari, regional head of the National Bank, said 11 branches were attacked. "The terrorists only targeted the ATM machine rooms. However, the roof of a branch in Latifabad caved in and documents and furniture caught fire," he said.
Senior Superintendent of Police Haseeb Afzal Baig said the first bomb went off in Hyderabad at about 5:30 am, local time.
The bombs used in Hyderabad city contained at least 500 gm of explosives, he said.
A little-known organisation called the Sindhu Desh Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the blasts.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Aijaz Bhatti said police had found pamphlets bearing the name of the group near banks targeted in Hyderabad.
Baig said this was the same group which had carried out bomb attacks on railway tracks and power pylons in the past.
Security was tightened at all branches of the National Bank, police officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA