Pak authorities arrest 12 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested 12 Indian fishermen and seized two boats on charges of illegally entering the country`s waters, taking the total number of fishermen arrested since last month to 78.
The Maritime Security Agency arrested the 12 fishermen while they were allegedly fishing over 230 km inside Pakistani waters on Friday, spokesman Commander Mohammad Farooq said. They were handed over to the Docks police station yesterday.
Fifty-seven Indian fishermen were arrested in October while nine more were arrested earlier this month. They have all been charged under the Foreigners Act and the Fishery Act.
Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum representative Sami Memon told the media that following the arrest of the 12 fishermen, more than 160 Indian fishermen were currently in Pakistani jails.
Memon said some 676 Indian fishermen were released by Pakistan this year while India had freed 64 Pakistani fishermen. There are still 125 Pakistani fishermen in Indian jails, he said.
Though Pakistani fishermen stray into Indian waters, records show that the number of Indian fishermen caught in Pakistani waters was many times higher than the Pakistani fishermen caught in Indian waters.
The Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum has suggested that both countries should jointly issue licences to fishermen and declare a 100-km zone, 50 km on each side of the maritime border, as a buffer zone where the registered fishermen could fish and easily be identified whenever they are caught by security forces of either country.
The MSA frequently arrests Indian fishermen on charges of violating Pakistan`s EEZ. The fishermen sometimes languish in jail for months even after completing their prison terms.
After the two countries revived their peace process last year after a gap of over two years in the wake of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, they took several steps to speed up the release of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly