Pak avalanche: Rescue ops on; no bodies found yet
Islamabad: Pakistani soldiers are digging for a second day to find 135 people buried by a massive avalanche that engulfed a military complex near the Indian border.
Military officials said Sunday they have not recovered any bodies over 24 hours after the avalanche occurred. They are sending more heavy equipment to help with the effort.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.
The disaster occurred at the entrance to the Siachen Glacier, a mountain battleground where Pakistani and Indian troops have faced off for decades.
The Army has said at least 124 soldiers and 11 civilian contractors were missing under some 21 meters (70 feet) of snow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II