Pak avalanche: Rescue work on for missing victims
Islamabad: The Pakistani Army was carrying on its rescue operations on the sixth day to reach out to 138 soldiers and civilians buried under snow after a massive avalanche hit their camp at Siachen last Saturday.
Last Saturday, the avalanche hit a camp of the Pakistan Army in the morning in the Gayari sector of Siachen, the world`s highest battle-ground.
According to the Army, the effort was on despite inclement weather on Thursday.
Excavation in snow has gone down up to 35 metres as chances of survival were very slim on sixth day of the deadly avalanche, the heaviest in 20 years since the camp had been established there, Xinhua quoted the Pakistani Army as saying.
"At present 15 heavy machines which include dumpers, dozers, excavators and loaders are working at the search site," a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj