Pak avalanche: Rescue work on for missing victims
Islamabad: The Pakistani Army was carrying on its rescue operations on the sixth day to reach out to 138 soldiers and civilians buried under snow after a massive avalanche hit their camp at Siachen last Saturday.
Last Saturday, the avalanche hit a camp of the Pakistan Army in the morning in the Gayari sector of Siachen, the world`s highest battle-ground.
According to the Army, the effort was on despite inclement weather on Thursday.
Excavation in snow has gone down up to 35 metres as chances of survival were very slim on sixth day of the deadly avalanche, the heaviest in 20 years since the camp had been established there, Xinhua quoted the Pakistani Army as saying.
"At present 15 heavy machines which include dumpers, dozers, excavators and loaders are working at the search site," a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mayawati justifies counter abuse, says Dayashankar's wife, daughter paying for being silent on 'prostitute' comment
- Una row: 3 Dalits attempt suicide; situation largely peaceful
- Attention nail polish lovers! Here's how to apply nail paints perfectly—Watch video now
- JKCET-II 2016: Admit card released at www.jakbopee.org, check how to download
- Mercedes' Nico Rosberg signs a new two-year deal, extending his stay to 2018