Pak blast: Toll rises to 43 as Karachi observes shutdown
Karachi: Thousands of mourners today
attended funeral prayers for 43 people who died in a suicide
attack on a Muharram procession of Pakistani Shia Muslims in
Karachi, where residents observed a shutdown to show
solidarity with the victims.
Provincial Health Secretary Hashim Raza Zaidi said 43
people had died so far in yesterday`s attack, the third
terrorist assault in as many days on a Shia procession in
Karachi, which sparked widespread rioting and violence across
the city of 14 million.
Other officials said over 100 injured were being treated
in hospitals and many of them were in a serious condition.
Amid tight security, thousands of mourners gathered at
various places in the city for funeral prayers for the
The suicide bomber mingled with hundreds of people
participating in a procession for the Islamic holy month of
Muharram and detonated his explosives on M A Jinnah Road, a
key thoroughfare in the heart of Karachi, yesterday.
Mobs went on the rampage, torching cars and shops, firing
in the air and beating up police and paramilitary personnel.
Over 1,500 shops on M A Jinnah Road and in Boulton Market
were set ablaze.
Fire fighters struggled till this afternoon to control
the blaze as plumes of thick black smoke rose over the city.
Authorities deployed over 40 fire tenders to control the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS