Pak can`t share information over Lahore shooting: Basit
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said he was "not in a position to comment on any aspects" of the matter as it was sub-judice.
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday said it could not
comment or share information on "any aspects" of the case of
the US consulate employee facing a double murder charge for
shooting and killing two alleged robbers.
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit, confronted with a
volley of questions about the incident during the weekly news
briefing, said he was "not in a position to comment on any
aspects" of the matter as it was sub-judice.
Davis was arrested in Lahore last week after he gunned
down two Pakistani men who he claimed were trying to rob him.
A third Pakistani was killed when he was hit by a
speeding US consulate car that was rushing to the aid of
Pakistani officials have rejected a US demand for Davis
to be freed on the ground that he enjoys diplomatic immunity.
Pakistani journalists were irked by Basit`s remarks that
he could not comment on the issue and some even said they
would walk out of the briefing.
Basit acknowledged it was the media`s prerogative to
ask questions as much as it was his prerogative to respond to
them in a manner of his choosing.
He pointed out that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had
made a categorical statement in parliament yesterday that the
law would take its course in the matter of the American.
The weekly briefings at the Foreign Office are usually
dominated by questions related to India and the Kashmir issue
but these matters did not figure at all at today`s event.