Pak Chief Justice urged not to hear son`s case
Islamabad: Leader of Opposition in Pakistan`s National Assembly Nisar Ali Khan has said that Supreme Court`s Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry should keep away from his son`s case, Online news agency reported.
But appreciating the Chief Justice`s effort, Khan said that it was the first case in the history of Pakistan that a Chief Justice of Pakistan has taken a suo moto notice of a case in which his son is allegedly involved in a corruption case.
He told media that the case had now opened and would go very far.
According to a Pakistani daily, Chaudhry took notice of a whisper campaign that Malik Riaz, a property tycoon, had got his son Arsalan Iftikhar involved in a business deal to influence cases pending before the court against him.
The Chief Justice ordered that the matter be placed before his bench on Wednesday and issued notice to Riaz and Iftikhar (Arsalan).
The Chief Justice acted on a note by Supreme Court Registrar Faqir Hussain that said allegations were being levelled in TV talk shows that Riaz had engaged Iftikhar (Arsalan) with a view to influence the judicial process.
The note pointed out the allegation that Rs 300 to 400 million had been given to the Chief Justice`s son. Also, expenses on foreign trips were borne by the property tycoon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark