Pak, China to discuss defence, trade during Gilani visit
Beijing: Pakistan and China are expected to
explore opportunities to step up cooperation in the fields of
defence, investment and trade, and coordinate their positions
on UN reform and climate change as Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani arrives here on a four-day visit.
Gilani will arrive here tomorrow primarily to attend the
Oct 14 meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO),
on which Pakistan is an observer state, and will also hold
talks with China`s top leadership, Masood Khan, Pakistan`s
Ambassador to China told a press conference here.
During Gilani`s meetings with President Hu Jintao and
Premier Wen Jiabao, the two sides will explore opportunities
to strengthen their strategic cooperation in trade, defence
and energy sectors, among other things, he said.
He said Pakistan and China would also examine ways to
minimise the adverse impact of the international financial
crisis and would coordinate their positions on UN reform,
climate change and international trade.
The SCO is a regional grouping with China, Russia,
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan as members
and Pakistan, India, Iran and Mongolia as observers.
"We would very much like to be a full member," he said.
Khan said that Gilani`s participation will give him an
opportunity to share the challenges Pakistan is facing in
countering militancy and terrorism and in bringing stability
to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’