Pak, China to hold anti-terror military exercise
Islamabad: Pakistan and China will hold a two-week long joint military exercise with focus on anti-terror cooperation in Pakistan from November 16.
The exercise codenamed "YouYi-IV" will be spread over two weeks. It will also focus on the exchange of experiences and information through a "comprehensive training programme in real time", the Pakistani military said on Friday.
The announcement did not specify the location of the exercise, but an earlier report from Beijing had said it would be held close to Islamabad.
The exercise will encompass "techniques and procedures involved in a low-intensity conflict operations environment", the military said.
"This joint interaction in the form of a military exercise aims at sharing and enhancing expertise of both armies in countering terrorism," it said.
The word "YouYi" translates into "friendship". This series of military exercises by Pakistan and China began in 2004.
The Pakistan Army became the first foreign force to conduct an exercise on Chinese soil under this series. The two countries have conducted three exercises so far, including two in China and one in Pakistan.
"These exercises were mandated to boost the existing professional relationship between the two friendly armies," the military said.
The military said Pakistan and China enjoyed "extremely close and brotherly relations since their inception, which have matured and strengthened over the years" and the upcoming joint exercise would "pave the way for further cementing the existing bilateral relations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof