Pak Christians pray for peace on Christmas
Karachi: Christians in Pakistan prayed for
peace in the country as they celebrated Christmas amid heavy
security and vigilance at churches across the nation.
In Karachi, which has the largest Christian population
in the country, the community members came out in large
numbers to attend the midnight prayers during which special
prayers were held for improved inter-faith relations and
The provincial information minister, Shazia Marri in
a sign of solidarity with the Christian community visited the
famous Trinity church at midnight and cut a Christmas cake and
distributed gifts among children.
Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani had also cut a
ceremonial Christmas cake along with the Minister of State for
National Harmony, Akram Masih Gill, and leaders from other
minority communities at Fatima Church, Islamabad yesterday.
Security inside and outside the churches in the city
was very tight.
"All this is to ensure smooth proceedings of festivities
and services on Christmas," a senior police official said.
The government has also promised that there will be
no load shedding at churches on Christmas.
The Christian community in Peshawar had one more
reason to celebrate this year.
After five years, they could hold their traditional fair
at a Christian school in Kohati Chowk which had been postponed
due to the security situation in the province.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened