Pak CJ`s son seeks FIR against accusing businessman
Islamabad: Pakistan Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Choudhry`s son, who is facing accusations of receiving huge bribes from a real estate tycoon, filed an application in court on Monday seeking registration of an FIR against the businessman for making objectionable allegations.
The application filed by Arsalan Iftikhar`s counsel in the Supreme Court called for the registration of an FIR against Malik Riaz Hussain, the owner of Bahria Town real estate firm, for alleging that he possessed photos and video footage of Iftikhar`s visits to London that were allegedly paid for by the tycoon`s relatives.
Iftikhar filed the application after TV anchors said on a talk show last night that Hussain had photos and videos of the Chief Justice`s son`s visits to London during 2009-11.
Iftikhar allegedly received Rs 400 million from Hussain to influence several cases in the apex court.
Iftikhar contended these allegations were "objectionable" and amounted to "character assassination".
He said Hussain should be directed to produce any evidence he possessed.
He asked the court to direct authorities to register an FIR and a criminal case against Hussain.
He further demanded that Hussain should be arrested when he appears in the apex court.
Iftikhar also asked the court to direct authorities to provide him security as he had concerns about his safety.
The Chief Justice initiated suo moto proceedings against Iftikhar but later recused himself from the case against his son last week following criticism from legal experts.
According to media reports based on documents in Hussain`s possession, expenses for several trips by Iftikhar to London and Monte Carlo, were paid by members of the tycoon`s family.
Most of the cases in the apex court involving Hussain and Bahria Town are related to alleged irregularities in real estate deals.
The powerful businessman has close ties with politicians and the military.
Hussain was being treated for a medical condition abroad and is expected to return to Pakistan today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights