Pak clash: Ten militants, one soldier killed
Islamabad: At least 10 militants and a security personnel were killed today in a fierce clash in the restive South Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan.
The clash erupted after heavily armed militants attacked a security check post in Wana, the main town of South Waziristan tribal agency, early this morning.
One security personnel was killed and another injured in the attack, TV news channels reported.
Ten militants were killed and eight more injured in the clash with security forces, state-run Radio Pakistan reported on its website.
Security forces used helicopter gunships to target the militants and destroyed two rebel hideouts, the report said.
The exchange of gunfire between the two sides lasted for two hours.
Local residents told the media that they had been ordered out of the area so that troops could conduct an operation against the militants.
Pakistani troops had conducted a major operation in South Waziristan in 2009 to flush out Taliban militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra