Pak clash: Ten militants, one soldier killed
Islamabad: At least 10 militants and a security personnel were killed today in a fierce clash in the restive South Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan.
The clash erupted after heavily armed militants attacked a security check post in Wana, the main town of South Waziristan tribal agency, early this morning.
One security personnel was killed and another injured in the attack, TV news channels reported.
Ten militants were killed and eight more injured in the clash with security forces, state-run Radio Pakistan reported on its website.
Security forces used helicopter gunships to target the militants and destroyed two rebel hideouts, the report said.
The exchange of gunfire between the two sides lasted for two hours.
Local residents told the media that they had been ordered out of the area so that troops could conduct an operation against the militants.
Pakistani troops had conducted a major operation in South Waziristan in 2009 to flush out Taliban militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Two 'young' craters discovered on Moon
- Twitter to soon roll out automatic 'Night Mode' UI
- WATCH: 'MGNREGA is live monument of your failures' - When PM Narendra Modi blasted Congress
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli surprises Royal Challengers Bangalore youngsters with wonderful gifts!
- Honda launches refreshing new 2016 Activa-i at Rs 50,255