Pak: Clashes leave 7 soldiers, 22 militants dead
Islamabad: Seven security personnel and 22
militants have been killed in clashes between troops and
rebels in Pakistan`s restive tribal areas over the past 24
hour, officials said on Saturday.
A dozen pro-Taliban fighters and four soldiers were
killed in fighting during a search operation by troops in Shin
Warsak area of South Waziristan tribal region.
The operation was launched early this morning near the
tribal agency`s main town of Wana following a tip-off about
militants being present in the area.
Earlier, three soldiers and about 10 militants were
killed after dozens of Taliban fighters stormed a check post
in Orakzai Agency overnight.
The attack occurred at a spot on the outskirts of Kalaya,
the main town in Orakzai Agency, officials said.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as
journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
The Pakistani military carried out an offensive in South
Waziristan to flush out the Taliban in 2009.
Many commanders and fighters are believed to have fled
into neighbouring North Waziristan, where Pakistan has so far
resisted US pressure for a similar offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue