Pak: Clashes leave 7 soldiers, 22 militants dead
Islamabad: Seven security personnel and 22
militants have been killed in clashes between troops and
rebels in Pakistan`s restive tribal areas over the past 24
hour, officials said on Saturday.
A dozen pro-Taliban fighters and four soldiers were
killed in fighting during a search operation by troops in Shin
Warsak area of South Waziristan tribal region.
The operation was launched early this morning near the
tribal agency`s main town of Wana following a tip-off about
militants being present in the area.
Earlier, three soldiers and about 10 militants were
killed after dozens of Taliban fighters stormed a check post
in Orakzai Agency overnight.
The attack occurred at a spot on the outskirts of Kalaya,
the main town in Orakzai Agency, officials said.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as
journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
The Pakistani military carried out an offensive in South
Waziristan to flush out the Taliban in 2009.
Many commanders and fighters are believed to have fled
into neighbouring North Waziristan, where Pakistan has so far
resisted US pressure for a similar offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!