Pak: Clashes leave 7 soldiers, 22 militants dead
Islamabad: Seven security personnel and 22
militants have been killed in clashes between troops and
rebels in Pakistan`s restive tribal areas over the past 24
hour, officials said on Saturday.
A dozen pro-Taliban fighters and four soldiers were
killed in fighting during a search operation by troops in Shin
Warsak area of South Waziristan tribal region.
The operation was launched early this morning near the
tribal agency`s main town of Wana following a tip-off about
militants being present in the area.
Earlier, three soldiers and about 10 militants were
killed after dozens of Taliban fighters stormed a check post
in Orakzai Agency overnight.
The attack occurred at a spot on the outskirts of Kalaya,
the main town in Orakzai Agency, officials said.
The death toll could not be independently confirmed as
journalists are barred from reporting from the tribal belt.
The Pakistani military carried out an offensive in South
Waziristan to flush out the Taliban in 2009.
Many commanders and fighters are believed to have fled
into neighbouring North Waziristan, where Pakistan has so far
resisted US pressure for a similar offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan