Pak clerics criticise Taliban for condoning Church attack
Islamabad: A group of clerics today asked the government not to hold peace with the banned Pakistani Taliban after it condoned the recent bomb attack on a church in Peshawar that killed over 80 people.
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesperson Shahidullah Shahid told the BBC Urdu yesterday that his group did not carry out the church attack, but it believed the bombing was according to the Islamic Shariah.
However, leaders of the Sunni Ittehad Council said that Shahid`s statement was contrary to the teachings of Islam, a religion that calls for respecting all places of worship.
"The Taliban`s claim that the church attack is in line with the principles of Islam is wrong and un-Islamic. Islam forbids damaging the places of worship of all religions," the clerics said in a joint-statement.
The clerics also opposed the Pakistani government`s decision to hold peace talks with Taliban, saying that the it was like rubbing salt on the wounds of the 50,000 victims of terrorism across the country.
"If the government holds peace talks with the Taliban, it should also hold dialogues with all prisoners who have committed heinous crimes," the clerics said.
The clerics from the Barelvi school of thought has said that Islam provides complete security to religious minorities and affiliating terrorist activities with Islam is tantamount to defaming the religion.
"Shahid`s statement is based on the ideology of terrorists, which has no connection with or roots in Islam. Such a stance is against the Holy Quran and Sunnah," they added.
The September 23 attack on All Saints church in the provincial capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, that killed more than 80 and injured at least 130, is believed to be the deadliest ever to target the country`s Christian minority.
The Ulema urged the government to launch an operation against the terrorists who caused irreparable loss to both Islam and Pakistan.
"They (Taliban) don`t deserve any leniency," the statement said.
The TTP, which has waged a bloody war against the Pakistani state since 2007, has issued stringent conditions for its participation in talks, including the release of its cadres from jail, withdrawal of troops from the tribal areas along the Afghan border and an end to US drone strikes in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM