Pak clerics declare suicide bombings unlawful
Islamabad: Hundreds of Islamic scholars
in Pakistan`s restive North Waziristan tribal region have
declared suicide bombings as unlawful and asked all foreign
militants hiding in the area to stop such attacks, according
to media reports on Tuesday.
About 300 religious scholars unanimously agreed on the
move to declare suicide attacks as "haram" or forbidden by
Islam and condemned all forms of terrorist activities in North
The scholars strongly condemned all those involved in
recruiting and training suicide bombers. They issued a stern
warning to terrorists that such acts would have serious
consequences, Geo News channel reported.
The meeting of the prominent `ulema` of North
Waziristan Agency was held in the Madrassah Nizamia religious
school at Eidak, a town in Mirali area. The school is a
leading and respected institution in North Waziristan.
The meeting warned all foreigners to stop their
violent activities as they can only live in North Waziristan
peacefully according to local customs.
A teenager who was arrested about two months ago after
his suicide vest did not explode during an attack on a crowded
Sufi shrine in Punjab province later told police that he had
been trained in a camp in North Waziristan.
He also revealed that around 300 youths were being
trained at a centre in the region and would be sent out for
attacks across Pakistan and Afghanistan.
US authorities insist that al Qaeda and Taliban
elements have established numerous centres in North Waziristan
for cross-border attacks on foreign and Afghan forces.
Pakistan is under pressure from the US to launch a
military operation against militants in North Waziristan, but
Islamabad says it has no resources for such an offensive and
that its troops are already engaged in other tribal regions.
Pakistani media recently reported that the army has
chalked out a strategy to separate violent extremists from
tribesmen as the first step to weaken the militants.
A decree from the Islamic scholars of Waziristan may
be a step towards achieving the goal of isolating the
Against the backdrop of the prevailing insecurity in
North Waziristan Agency, the pronouncements by the ulema of
the region are historic and very significant, Geo News quoted
observers as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves