Pak clerics refuse to support UNICEF’s immunisation
Islamabad: Clerics in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and adjoining tribal areas have refused to continue supporting the immunisation campaigns sponsored by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in their respective areas, over claims that a UNICEF official has discredited them.
Prayer leaders and teachers in seminaries have been working with National Research and Development Foundation (NRDF) and UNICEF since November 2009 to reduce the number of the people refusing to get their children vaccinated against polio.
However, many religious scholars, who have been working with the NRDF, claimed that UNICEF had been discrediting them by claiming that they are paid for immunisation support and cooperation, despite their working on a voluntary basis.
We have been working with Unicef on voluntary basis and had brought down refusals to 840 from 26000 in Peshawar during the past one year, the Dawn quoted a cleric, as saying.
According to the report, the NRDF wrote a letter to UNICEF expressing displeasure over one of its officials bringing ulema into disrespect.
We want to formally quit its organisational activities related to Polio Eradication and expanded programme on immunisation (EPI) under the current Project Cooperation Agreement (PCA) with Unicef until remedial organisational measures are taken to rebuild the lost confidence of our field workers and resume meaningful activities, the letter stated.
He said a senior Peshawar-based UNICEF official had given a presentation to a district coordination officer in which he said UNICEF was paying money to religious leaders for anti-immunisation support and cooperation, the paper said.
A majority of 7,000 ulema had communicated to NRDF that they were not willing to support the immunization campaign, especially polio, which has prompted NRDF to quit the project, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145