Pak Colonel among 3 to face court-martial for `spying`
Islamabad: Pakistani military is set to launch the court-martial of a Colonel and two ex-armed forces personnel on charges of spying, including leaking secrets of the Shamsi Air Force base to those planning to attack it, and inciting fellow soldiers to commit acts of terrorism.
The court-martial of Col Shahid Bashir, Nadeem Ahmad Shah, a former air force pilot who is now an advocate, and Awais Ali Khan, an engineer who resigned from military two years ago, will get underway in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) tomorrow, BBC Urdu reported.
The three men were arrested by the military intelligence in Rawalpindi in May.
Their families told BBC that they had been informed that the three men will face court martial proceedings for spying.
Chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas said he was aware that some persons were being investigated for spying but he did not have any knowledge about the court-martial.
The three men are currently in army`s custody in Kotli district of PoK but there was no official word on allegations levelled against them.
BBC quoted its sources as saying that they had been accused of leaking secrets about the Pakistan Air Force base at Shamsi in Balochistan and inciting army officers to commit
acts of terrorism.
Former army chief Gen Mirza Aslam Beg had claimed a few months ago that the Shamsi airbase is being used by the US for drone flights to strike targets in Pakistan`s tribal areas.
The court-martial will be conducted by court headed by a brigadier under the provisions of the Army Act.
If the accused are convicted, they could be given the death sentence.
According to details of the charges provided to the families of the three men, Col Shahid Bashir of the Army Engineering Corps has been charged with leaking secrets of Shamsi airbase to persons who were planning to attack the facility.
Bashir hails from Faisalabad and investigators have probed his alleged links to the Hizbut Tehrir group.
Nadeem Ahmad Shah, a former PAF pilot and now a lawyer, is an active member of Rawalpindi Bar.
Awais Ali Khan returned to Pakistan in 2002 after securing a mechanical engineer`s degree from the US.
He is a green card holder and has an American wife. He served with the military`s Air Weapons Complex but resigned two years ago. Since then, he has been running his own factory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks