Pak commision submits Shahzad murder report
Islamabad: The Pakistani judicial commission that probed the abduction and murder of journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad submitted its report to Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Tuesday.
Pakistan Federal Union of Journalist president Pervaiz Shoukat, who is a member of the commission, told the media that the government had given an assurance that it would take action against those responsible for the murder in accordance with the findings of the commission.
There was no official word on the commission`s findings.
Shahzad was abducted while driving from his house to a TV
station in Islamabad on May 29 last year, two days after he
alleged in an article that al Qaeda had infiltrated the
His body, bearing marks of severe torture, was found the
next day in a canal in Punjab province.
Rights groups and journalists` bodies had alleged that
Shahzad was killed by the Inter-Services Intelligence, a
charge denied by the spy agency.
Shoukat said the commission had completed its report
following a probe that lasted six months.
The commission interviewed 41 individuals, he said.
The report includes PFUJ`s recommendations for the safety
of journalists and financial assistance to be provided to
Shahzad`s family, he said.
The commission, which was headed by Supreme Court Justice
Mian Saqib Nisar, was asked to inquire into the background and
circumstances of the abduction and murder of Shahzad, to
identify the culprits involved in the crime, and to recommend
measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?